Sunday, July 1, 2012

Voting: A Legacy And Our Civic Duty


On Tuesday, June 26th, 2012, I had a chance to cast my first vote in Utah.  As always, my children stood beside me and watched as I completed the process...

You must have reached the age of 18 years here in America before you vote.  In some states, they let you register a bit early as long as you'll be 18 by the time the next election is held.

Long before I had reached the proper age, my parents would take me with them when they would cast their votes.  I would see the process, and stand in the voting booth with them.  In the car, sometimes we talked about why they voted the way they did. Most of the time I agreed, at times I didn't.

By my parents example, I came to understand just how important it was to vote as a citizen of the United States of America. This left a major impression on me.  My parents, when I was living with them, never missed an opportunity to vote.

Voting is something special.  At first, it was only white, male, land owners who could vote, but then it was all males.  Later on women, and African - Americans got the right to vote.  This wasn't easy thing to accomplish.  In fact, it was a hard, and long struggle for both groups.

Even today, if you're convicted of a serious felony, you can (may) lose the right to vote.  Sometime you can get the right to vote restored, but often that is not the case.

When I cast my very first vote for Clinton - Gore in 1996, I was doing something a lot of people my age were not doing.  Not many people under 25 vote, if they register at all.  This is why most politicians don't listen to the concerns of this age group.

Just like my parents, I'm doing my own little part to change this. This is why I take my children with me when I cast my votes.  I'm teaching them about the process, and how to vote on the modern machines.  I try to explain to them why I voted or didn't vote for a certain person, or ballot question.

I would love for them to be loyal Democrats, that is my hope for them.  That said, It doesn't matter what party they associate with as long as they register, and vote in each primary and general election.  Moreover, I wish them to be informed voters and, if nothing else, know the basics of the issues.

I hope that I'm raising a couple of....


No comments:

Post a Comment